How does SwiftScan Text Recognition (OCR) work?
OCR stands for Optical Character Recognition. Our advanced OCR solution identifies and extracts textual content from scanned documents with precision.
- OCR operations are exclusively conducted locally on your device. We ensure that no data is transmitted to external servers for processing.
- SwiftScan currently offers OCR support for more than 60 languages.
- Our engine integrates multiple advanced technologies to deliver optimal OCR results.
So how does it work?
To utilize our OCR capabilities, you must have SwiftScan Pro. Upon obtaining SwiftScan Pro, additional Pro features will become accessible in your settings.
- Navigate to "Text Recognition (OCR)".
- At the top, you will find an option to enable or disable Text Recognition.
- Below, there's a list of supported OCR languages. Ensure you've activated the required language(s). However, for optimal OCR results, it's recommended to limit the number of selected languages.
OCR Process Overview
Upon activating OCR, each of your scans will undergo the OCR process. Here's what you can expect:
- Initialization: The first time you use OCR on a document, you'll encounter a brief message stating, "Waiting for OCR files...". During this phase, SwiftScan initializes the OCR function. This might entail a slightly extended wait as SwiftScan downloads crucial support files based on your language preferences.
- Processing: After initialization, you'll see a message stating, "Processing Pages...". During this stage, the OCR function is applied to your scanned document. The duration of this process can vary. While in rare instances it may take 2-3 minutes, typically it's completed in about 30-40 seconds. A percentage will indicate the progress throughout.
Accessing OCR Results
- Accessing the Document: From the list view, tap on the specific scan. This action will take you to the document view.
- Viewing Extracted Text: Tap on "Text" located at the top, just beneath the file name. This will display the extracted text separately, allowing you to share and search through it with ease.
- Utilizing Recognized Details: If the document comprises details like phone numbers, emails, or addresses, these can be swiftly utilized via a single tap from the Actions Menu.
Additionally, once OCR has been applied to a PDF scan, all of its contents become searchable. You can easily locate specific content using both the Spotlight Search and SwiftScan's built-in search function.
Additional Tips for Optimal OCR Results
- Document Quality: The quality of your original document directly affects the scan and subsequent OCR results. Aim for high-quality documents for best outcomes.
- Lighting: Ensure that your document is well-lit when scanning. Proper lighting helps in capturing clearer images, leading to better OCR results.
- Language Configuration: Ensure that the desired languages are accurately set up in the OCR configurator.
- Image Orientation: Make sure your scans are in portrait mode. At present, our OCR engine is optimized to process scans taken in portrait mode only, not landscape.
Manual OCR for Existing Documents
Do you have older documents that haven't undergone OCR processing? Here's how to manually apply text recognition to them:
- Access the Document: Open the desired document.
- Start OCR: Tap "Text" at the top.
- Re-Run OCR: If a message appears indicating that no text was found, simply tap "Re-Run OCR" beneath the message.